KPF’s contribution to NYU’s School of Law provides essential new academic and common space for the renowned institution. Consisting of a master plan, a new building, and interior design was an all in one project. The new building incorporates the reconstruction of two historic facades into its own: that of the Judson House, renovated by McKim Mead and White in 1899 just south of the church, and that of a typical row house from the 1830s located on West 3rd Street and noted for its occupation by Edgar Allan Poe during the early 1840s. In order to seamlessly integrate the new building design with the existing, the Law School worked with significant stakeholder input to develop a concept that would respect the concerns of the broader Greenwich Village community. This translated into the subtle introduction to color and texture at the interior while keeping a neutral and warm palette throughout the nine-story mixed use facility. The project consists of lower floors dedicated to academic and student space, middle floors housing academic administration and Law Clinics, and upper floors provide the Law School faculty with apartments.
Credits Interior Design by KPF (prior to Spaceworks)